[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:35:11 PDT 2011

At 09:38 AM 11/2/2011, R. Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
> "Why not" would be because of Chukos Hagoyim. That said, another reason I
> heard (and I think I posted it last time this came up), is that we stand
> before people who are doing a mitzvah. The chosson and kallah are coming to
> do the mitzvos (to link to a recent thread) of Ki Yikach Ish Ishah and
> Piryah V'rivyah, so we stand in their honor.

R' YL:
> I think you mean that we stand before people who are *going* to do a
> mitzvah. After all, most people do not stand throughout the entire chupah,
> only when the Choson and Kallah walk down.

I stand :-) corrected.

R' YL:
> If it is indeed the case that we stand when people are going to do a
> mitzvah, then why don't we stand when the Baal Kriah gets up to lein, when
> the Baal Shachris goes to the Amud to daven, etc.?

I share your question.

R' JK:
> Why is it chukat hagoyim? I've seen lots of non-Jewish weddings on TV and
> don't remember the guests standing when the bride and groom walk in. I do
> recall that they didn't stand at William and Kate's wedding.

Yes, they did. And a quick perusal of youtube shows that it isn't uncommon
at other weddings either. That said, I am certainly no authority on
non-Jewish weddings!

R' JK:
> As far as why we do it. ISTM that "chosson domeh lemelech" and "they are
> doing a mitzvah" are all post facto explanations. My best guess is that we
> do it as a grass roots action of giving honor to the bride and groom, not
> because they're royalty or doing a mitzvah, but because they're -- you
> guessed it, a bride and groom and today's their big day. Really simple; no
> need for any halachic lomdos.<SNIP>

Could very well be - I wouldn't be surprised!

R' JR:
> Which of course brings us to what mitzvah is the kallah (and perhaps
> chattan) on the way to do?

Piryah V'Rivyah and Ki Yikach Ish Ishah for the Chassan. For the Kallah,
maybe none?

KT,
MYG