[Avodah] More Tzaar

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Mon Oct 31 11:40:02 PDT 2011

RMB:

<< I believe you're taking two sides of the same machloqes. If you hold
that mitzta'er renders the booth a non-sukkah, then you hold that
mitzta'er is a petur on the first night -- you have no Sukkah to go to!>>

Am I correct in guessing that you haven't actually looked in Har'rei
Kedem?  Here's my translation of the relevant bit: "R. Moshe responded
to him that in any case he's obliged.  Everyone agrees that mitztaer is
obliged to eat the first kezayis on the first night [in the sukka].  The
person who exempts does so only on the grounds that the sukka is unfit
as a residence during rainfall; it lacks the status (shem) of sukka and
lacks the status of residence (dirah)."
   The implication is that according to those opinions which permit
eating inside there can be no kiyum until the rain stops.  Hence RMS
woke up his children at that point.
> BTW, I since found in Reshimos Shi'urim, Sukkah pg 92, that RYBS draws
> the conclusion I did from the story. He makes a chiluq between where the
> sukkah and the space within it causes the tza'ar, and when the tza'ar
> is getting to the Sukkah.
Yes, the conclusions there are very different than in Har'rei Kedem.  I
have to admit I find the argument there less convincing, since the
reason for not waking a sleeping person is not tza'ar but tircha,
derived directly from teishvu k'ein taduru.  See the citation from the
Bigdei Yesha in MB SK 39.

Incidentally we find "tza'ar" used as a synonym for "waking up" used
transitively, as in Berachos 13b "amar leih R. Nahman l'Daru avdeih:
bipsuka kama tza'aran, tfei lo t'tza'aran."  Compare OH 63:5 which uses
both verbs.

David Riceman