[Avodah] Katzav in Prison

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 22:17:04 PST 2011

zev writes
The whole topic of mesirah is more complicated in Israel because the
issur is mesirah *legoy*.  Even if one considers the medinah and its
legal system as "goyish", and all its officers as "dinam kegoyim", I
doubt that this can be applied to these laws.  Just as the most fanatical
anti-zionist will concede that one is still obligated to give tzedaka to
a poor zionist, and to save a drowning one, he will surely concede that
one may be alone with a zionist, and take a haircut from one, and therefore
that it's at least plausible that there is no issur of mesirah to one.>>

EY is certainly more complicated. Rav Elyashiv among others agrees that
mesirah is not a problem in EY. I am not sure if it because of Zev's
suggestion or rather he holds that all modern governments are just and so
mesirah doesnt apply.

The complication arises because of the opinion of the Ran that seems to
imply that dina demalchusa doesnt apply in EY. I use the phrase "seems to
apply" since many people hold that the Ran is not advocating chaos in EY
where everyone can do what they want in the absence of a Sanhedrin. Perhaps
other dinim of the rights of a community apply.

--
Eli Turkel