[Avodah] Is there any issur here al pi halacha? - New

hankman hankman at bell.net
Wed Nov 2 08:01:45 PDT 2011

RMB wrote:

The rich person who has money is like the one person in the desert who
has the canteen. As R' Aqiva says, "vechei achikha imakh" -- if it isn't
going to be "imakh", there is no obligation of "vechei".

This is why I focused the question not on the buyer, but on the broker.
The broker's position is more like a health care provider or the public
kupah, who have halakhos of triage.

CM adds:

I too was thinking along similar lines. From the perspective of  the buyer, the principle of chayecha kodmin should apply. He (as RMB wrote) is the man with the only canteen of water in the desert. Our case is about the broker which in terms of the moshol used would be three people in the desert, a rich man, a poor man and one with two canteens of water so he could only save either the rich man or the poor man but not both. May he sell the second canteen to the rich man (the first is for himself [chayecha kodmin]). From the perspective of the seller, we of course get involved with the question of risking your life to save another (which can get quite complicated and very fact dependent – how imminent the risk, how great the risk, how sure of success in saving the other, organ going to pool or to individual, can he assure a Jew gets the organ, would saving (or only helping) another trump your risk, etc, etc.). then of course if there is a problem from the seller’s perspective then that in turn could get reflected back to the buyer and broker as an issue with lifnei iveir unless the buyer’s risk has risen to imminent pikuach nefesh and not just better health or less nuisance (eg. spending hours at dialysis etc).

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster