[Avodah] Baruch Mordochai (was re:sobering thoughts for Purim)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 24 17:10:47 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:11:58PM +0000, Elazar M. Teitz wrote:
: I claim no expertise in dikduk, but it is my understanding that there
: is no such thing as a chataf other than under a guttural...
: in kaddish shaleim), where the syllable is an open one. If this is
: correct, then those who have a chataf-kamatz under the dalet in Mord'chai
: should read it as a full kamatz katan, not as a chataf kamatz.

The Ish Matzliach has it that their minhag (Djerba) is "Mordochai" (chataf
qamatz) for Esther 5:12 and 5:13 only and otherwise, "Mordechai". The
Minchas Shai (2:5) says that Ashkanzim have "Mordochai" except when
part of the double name "Mordechai haYahudi", but Sepharadim always have
"Mordochai".

I expected you to end with "should reach it as a sheva na". That's what
R Mordechai Breuer concludes in one of the appendices to his Tanakh.

In any case, the name probably isn't Hebrew -- why assume it follows
Hebrew rules of niqud?

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507