[Avodah] Baruch Mordochai (was re:sobering thoughts for Purim)

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 30 05:33:28 PDT 2011

RMB:
> The Ish Matzliach has it that their minhag (Djerba) is "Mordochai"
> (chataf qamatz) for Esther 5:12 and 5:13 only and otherwise,
> "Mordechai". The Minchas Shai (2:5) says that Ashkanzim have
> "Mordochai" except when part of the double name "Mordechai
> haYahudi", but Sepharadim always have "Mordochai".

Isn't there a question as to in what measure rules of diqduq apply to
imported words and names?

FWIW, I recently heard that the Septuagint transliterates his name
Mordokhai (and originally, though perhaps no longer in Mordekhai's
day, it must have sounded Mardukhai). Source: Lawrence Schiffman here:
http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/757409

For completeness' sake I should add that LS believes that Mordokhai is
masoretically incorrect.

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger,