[Avodah] Aveinu Malkenu at Mincha on Taanis Esther

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Mar 21 13:21:48 PDT 2011

At 11:40 AM 3/21/2011, R. Ben Waxman wrote:

>I find two problems/questions about your story:
>
>1) You changed your minhag based on an email discussion? Did you consult
>with your rav before changing?

Yes, I changed based on what I found out is the real Ashkenaz minhag
and no I did not consult "my rav."

I am in a different position than many others in that I was not
brought up in an observant home.  As a result, I had to hammer out
everything that I do, because I have no family minhagim to follow,
except for a few things like my ancestors davened Ashkenaz.  While
not coming from an observant home has many obvious disadvantages, it
means that I examined everything that I saw people doing and decided
which way I wanted to do things.

>1) You choose to ignore minhag hamakom based on a conversation that you had
>with RS years ago? Maybe what he meant was only relevant to tachnun?

You did not read what I wrote very carefully. I never had a
conversation with Rav Schwab about tachanun. It was a friend of mine
who reported this conversation to me.

I never "flaunt" that I am not doing what the Tzibur is doing save
when it comes to tachanun.  For example, a Shteibel near me will not
say tachanun tomorrow or on Wednesday, because the gemara asks about
the possibility of reading the megilla on the 16th and 17th of
Adar.  If I were to daven in this place tomorrow, I would quietly and
unobtrusively say tachanun.

YL