[Avodah] RAMBAM on Songs and Using Hebrew

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Mar 18 08:52:38 PDT 2011

The following is from Pirkei Avot with the Rambam's commentary pages
74 - 75.  Note the statement,  "the decision whether a particular
subject is forbidden or permitted, desirable or objectionable, is not
dependent on the language in which it is spoken, but rather on its
content. If the content of a song is inspiring, it is necessary to
sing it, regardless of the language in which it is written."   This
makes me wonder why some reject out of hand anything that is from a
gentile source.

Also, note what the RAMBAM wrote regarding Hebrew,  namely, "Because
of the holiness of the language, [41] it is not fitting to use it
except for refined purposes."  This makes me wonder how one can use
Hebrew as a day to day language as they obviously do in EY.  YL

[In this context, it is worthy to note that] songs, regardless of the
language in which they are composed, are judged according to their
content. We should follow the same guidelines with regard to them as
mentioned above with regard to the five categories of speech.
Although this point of clarification is obvious, it is necessary to
mention it [specifically], because I have seen men of stature and
pious individuals from our nation [ignoring it). When they attend a
party, a wedding, or [a celebration of] that like, and a person
desires to sing a song in Arabic, they object and refuse to allow the
song to be sung. This is true even when the song praises courage or
forthrightness - i.e., it is in the category of desired speech - or
it praises wine. If, by contrast, a singer sings a Hebrew song, no
one will object, nor will they remonstrate even though the content of
the song concerns subjects that are forbidden or that should be eschewed.

This is utter foolishness. For the decision whether a particular
subject is forbidden or permitted, desirable or objectionable, is not
dependent on the language in which it is spoken, but rather on its
content. If the content of a song is inspiring, it is necessary to
sing it, regardless of the language in which it is written. And if
its subject matter is corrupt, we are obligated to shun it,
regardless of the language in which it is written.

I feel, however, that there is a further point to be added in this
regard. When there are two songs that both arouse sensual desire,
extol it, and draw the soul
in this direction, this is [surely] a shortcoming. And this is the
category of speech that should be eschewed, for it arouses and
stimulates a crude quality, as we
explained in the fourth [introductory] chapter. When one of the songs
was composed in Hebrew and the other in Arabic or Persian, hearing
the Hebrew song and speaking of these matters in that language is
less desirable according to the Torah. Because of the holiness of the
language, [41] it is not fitting to use it except for refined
purposes. Surely, the above applies if the person [incorporatesJ a
verse from the Torah or the Song of Songs. This causes [the song] to
move from the undesirable category to the forbidden. For the Torah
has forbidden the use of the words of prophecy for songs about crude
and lowly matters. [42]

[41.] See the Guide for the Perplexed, Vol. III, Chapter 8, where the
Rambam discusses the holiness
of the Hebrew language.

[42.] See Sanhedrin 101a.