[Avodah] Zechor/zachar

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 03:25:00 PDT 2011

> First, my understanding is that most shuls read it the "incorrect" way first, and then they "correct" it.

That's no longer frum enough and nowadays "they" have started reading
it correctly till the end and then repeating the entire last Posuk.

("They" = Yeshish Charidim in Jerusalem)

They also started this dual reading during the Krias HaTorah on Purim;
once they start repeating the last Posuk they will have solved the
"problem" of reading only 9 Psukim on Purim.

> Second, don't most shuls do this (or something very much like it) twice during Megillas Esther?
>
> 8:11 is read with "laharog" and then "v'laharog"
> 9:2 is read "bifnayhem" and then "lifnayhem"
>
> I find it noteworthy that (just like zaycher/zecher) neither of these variants is noted in the "kri/ksiv" section of any Chumash I've seen, and I've wondered if their origin is in the same time/place as that of zaycher/zecher.

I doubt it, because where I grew up (in a Yekkish shul; Adas Jeshurun
of Johannesburg) we did have this dual reading in the Megilla, but not
in Zochor.

- Danny, in Jerusalem