[Avodah] Feeding Your Baby In A Bathroom?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 3 15:56:47 PST 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 08:04:06AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Rav Aharon Yehuda HaLevi Grossman was asked (V'Darashta VChakarta
> 4:42:7)...
> First, the infant is too young for chinuch to apply.  Second, the food
> does not go through the bathroom, as it goes straight from the mother to
> the baby. Third, our bathrooms our not like the bathrooms discussed in
> halacha, since the system we use keeps them clean from unclean things.
> Last, because of the need for tznius there is reason to be lenient.

We discussed our bathrooms before. There is a machloqes at to whether
today's bathrooms are a beis hakisei or no better than the persian
bathrooms of their times. The other tzad also notes that there are
restrictions on what one does in the outer rooms of a bathhouse. We
aren't just concerned about smell, we also take into account the concept
of what the room is used for.

See R' Ari Z. Zivotofsky's RJJ Journal article at
<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/areivim/halacha_modern_plumbing.pdf>

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l