[Avodah] Torah UMadda

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Wed Mar 2 06:30:34 PST 2011

   I'm in the middle of reading Rabbi Lamm's book, and I'm surprised by
a basic lacuna.  Most of the opinions he describes stem from a
theoretical construct which describes human knowledge in general, the
place of secular knowledge in it, and the place of Torah with respect to
it (I change terminology because the Maharal, for example, does not
classify Torah under the rubric of "human knowledge").
   Not only does he refrain from describing any of these theoretical
constructs, he refrains from analyzing them (some of them are difficult
to maintain after the post-Aristotelian rupture), and he refrains from
hinting that he himself has such a theoretical construct.
   Is anyone on the list familiar enough with Rabbi Lamm's thought to
explain what's going on?

David Riceman