[Avodah] Fwd: R chiya raba

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 12 07:34:31 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:40:21PM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
:> But still, my point remains that the CI really speaks of dates of
:> decisions, not people.
:
: again R. Chiya dies before Rebbe. We have no way of knowing when the Mishna
: was finished in Rebbe's lifetime (if indeed there was an official finishing -
: some parts seem to be written after his death). So it would seem that
: almost all of R. Chiya's words are before the finish of the Mishna.

If this were so, he would be a tanna, not an exceptional amora. Most of his
words must have been after the misnhah

: I find it hard to imagine that there was a ceremony on RH of year 2000 and a
: decision
: that we no longer disagree iwth previous generations while last month we
: did.

I'm not asking based on what you or I find more reasonable or imaginable.
I'm asking about how the CI understand it.

One coudl rephrase the problem underlying my question about R' Chiya as
the fact that I can't imagine this either, and yet the CI says it. So,
I want to understand what the CI means, and how it allows for throwbacks
like R' Chiyya or Rav.

: Of course all this assumes that there are no missing years in the calendar
: over the Persian rule of 54 years(?)

I don't think it has to, because the CI isn't claiming the 2000 years
is precisely from 2000 AM to 4000 AM.

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507