[Avodah] Fwd: R chiya raba

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 02:40:21 PST 2011

<<This explains Rav tanna hu upalig -- if Rav made most of his statements
before that date. Similarly, R' Chiyya Ruba.

But still, my point remains that the CI really speaks of dates of
decisions, not people.>>

again R. Chiya dies before Rebbe. We have no way of knowing when the Mishna
was
finished in Rebbe's lifetime (if indeed there was an official finishing -
some parts seem
to be written after his death). So it would seem that almost all of R.
Chiya;s words
are before the finish of the Mishna.

OTOH it is unlikely we have anything from Rav while he was a talmid in EY
and I would assume everything from Rav was after the finish of the Mishna.
In any case when the gemara says Rav is a tanna and can argue it doesnt seem
to discuss when he said this.

As I questioned once before hand what if R. Yochanan quotes a much earler
tanna
like R Shimon bar Yochai. Is that considered before or after the 2000 years?

I find it hard to imagine that there was a ceremony on RH of year 2000 and a
decision
that we no longer disagree iwth previous generations while last month we
did.

Of course all this assumes that there are no missing years in the calendar
over the Persian rule
of 54 years(?)