[Avodah] Boreh Minei Bessamim: Stop And Smell The Flowers -- The Scent Really Can Soothe Stress

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Sun Mar 6 00:53:12 PST 2011

When discussing the blessing Hashem gave us, we usually include Boreh Minei
Bessamim (and it's variants).  But are flowers just esthetically pleasing?
Is the scent just "nice"?

Apparently, Hashem gave us flowers for additional reasons. The scent of
flowers reduces stress.

So, when you purchase flowers for Shabbat, make sure that they have a nice
scent. Apparently, the scent of flowers influences brain chemistry, reducing
stress.  IMHO, many of us could benefit from being at a lower stress levels
when Shabbat enters.

(P.S. I recall seeing a Dr. Phil chapter where he commented that apparently
there is a good reason for bringing the wife flowers when you arrive late...
<g>).

Here is a source for additional information:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090722110901.htm

Shoshana L. Boublil