[Avodah] Boreh Minei Bessamim: Stop And Smell The Flowers -- The Scent Really Can Soothe Stress

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Mar 6 12:50:21 PST 2011

This raises a question for me...

Do we shift all the questions of okhel vs refu'ah to scents as well?
If someone smells something only for refgu'ah, does he make a
berakhah?

As for giving flowers before Shabbos, I always thought the iqqar
was the pe'ulah, not the chetzah. To relate to this week's parashah
(archive readers: it's Vayiqra), Rachmanah liba ba'i. The essence
of a qorban is the emotion expressed in and reinforced by giving it,
not the animal.

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch