[Avodah] Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach On Sitting Next To A Lady On a Bus

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:58:58 PST 2011

 From http://revach.net/article.php?id=451

Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach was once sitting with someone on a crowded
city bus when a woman got onto the bus and couldn't find a place to
sit. Rav Shlomo Zalman turned to the younger person sitting next to
him and told him that either he should get up and give her his seat,
or Rav Shlomo Zalman will give up his seat. The younger fellow got up
and Rav Shlomo Zalman sat next to the women without any hesitation.

Interestingly Rav Shlomo Zalman once commented to someone (in
accordance with the gemara Eruvin 18b) that it is far better to sit
next to a woman that sit behind a women. (V'Aleihu Lo Yibol 2:EH:9)

Important Note: We bring this tshuvah as a starting point for
discussion and not to convey any halacha. We try to convey the Tshuva
to the best of our ability. We admit that our understanding may not
be accurate. One should learn the tshuva to verify the accuracy of
our interpretation. Please understand that this Tshuva may not be the
final word on this topic. One should consult a Rav before drawing any
conclusion.