[Avodah] Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach On Sitting Next To A Lady On a Bus

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 16 17:21:19 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:58:58PM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> From http://revach.net/article.php?id=451
> Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach was once sitting with someone on a crowded
> city bus when a woman got onto the bus and couldn't find a place to sit.
> Rav Shlomo Zalman turned to the younger person sitting next to him and
> told him that either he should get up and give her his seat, or Rav
> Shlomo Zalman will give up his seat...

But this doesn't imply there was a chiyuv to do so alst tzeni'us. I would
think RSZA would accomodate the woman's discomfort with complying with
standards even if they are not halachic.

This story stands in contrast to RMF's teshuvah on riding the subway during
rush hour.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l