[Avodah] talmud Torah

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:51:53 PDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:13:02 -0600 Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com>
wrote:
><<I consider it diminished in the sense that it's not the ikkar
qiyum
>hamitzvah of talmud Torah for the same reasons that it doesn't
influence
>pesaq>>
>
>Micha brings up a different point that is not completely clear.
>What defines Talmud Torah
>examples
>
>learning dikduk?

AFAIR, Rambam at least says this one explicitly (I don't remember
where).

As far as your other examples, one can be m'kayim the mitzvah of
talmud Torah with many different things, but that doesn't mean they
are all equal ikkar.  (I heard b'shem one RY that for talmidim at a
certain level, Gemara w/ Rashi is bitul Torah.)  Can't the same be
true of your examples?

I guess the nafka mina would be a case where the halacha depends on
something being TT.  I would think all of these would be assur on
9Av (but one could argue because of general inappropriateness
rather than TT).  Which of these would work for osek b'mitzva patur
min hamitzva?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu