[Avodah] talmud Torah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 21 14:11:04 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 01:13:02PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: Micha brings up a different point that is not completely clear.
: What defines Talmud Torah
: examples
: learning dikduk?
: learning Jewish history especially about talmud scholars
: using probability theory to explain Rov and a sugya in kinnim

I do not think it's unclear. I think it's well defined -- but as fuzzy
set. Similar to what RDI wrote. What I would add is that getting on
the edge where the answer to "is it talmud Torah" becomes a "somewhat",
the answer would seem to depend on lishmah. E.g. look at RET's example
"using probability theory to explain Rov and a sugya in kinnim" vs
learning the same formula in order to exaplin a game in Let's Make a Deal.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore