[Avodah] Qaddish and Women

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:40:58 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 15:46, <rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> DMS:
> > allowing women to say kaddish
> > (either by themselves, as permitted by RYBS, or with a man, as
> > permitted by RYE Henkin), etc - but it is still a very limited amount.
>
> I am researching "qaddish" stuff for a series of postings and I'm looking
> for sources:
>
> Where are these 2 opnions found

I gave a dvar torah a few years back on this subject.  My main sources were.

Joel B. Wolowelsky – Women, Jewish Law & Modernity – new opportunities in a
post feminist age

Rabbi Reuven Fink – Journal of Halacha  The recital of kaddish by women

Rabbi Dr. Aryeh A.& Rabbi Dov I. Frimer *Tradition*, 32:2* (*Winter
1998*).*WOMEN'S PRAYER SERVICES - THEORY AND PRACTICE

Here is info that I copied over for use in my dvar torah.*
*

Rav Yosef Henkin - *Ha-Pardes * Adar 1963 - a girl may say kaddish in front
of the women when kaddish is being said in the men’s shul,

*Teshuvot lbrah,* written in 1947 and first published in 1989 He says that
although the latter rabbis have discussed this matter (and frowned upon a
girl’s saying kaddish) he recalls in his youth that a girl said kaddish in a
congregation of saintly and pious men, He stipulates, however, that the girl
must stand behind the *mechitzah. *Unlike earlier times when only one person
recited the kaddish, we now have the custom that many people say the
kaddish, and therefore if a girl says the kaddish together with the men,
there is no reason to object.

1970’s -  Yavneh, National Religious Jewish Students Association, Joel
Wolowelsky  asked one of the Yavneh student leaders (Rabbi Ezra Bick,now at
Yeshivat Har Etzion) who was then learning with the Rav to ask the Rav about
women saying kaddish.

I spoke to the Rav about the question you asked concerning a girl saying
Kaddish. He told me that he remembered being in Vilna at the "Gaon's
Kloiz"-- which wasn't one of your modem Orthodox shuls -- and
a woman came into the back (there was no ezrat nashim ) and said Kaddish
after ma'ariv.

I asked him whether it would make a difference if someone was saying Kaddish
along with her or not, and he replied that he could see no objections in
either case -- it's perfectly all right."
Rabbi Gerald J. Blidstein (then a faculty advisor to Yavneh) I was asked
about the question last year, and looking into it, could find no reason
beyond general policy, for forbidding it. I spoke to Rav Aharon Lichtenstein,
who had the same reaction and said he would ask the Rav, which he did when I
was on the other end of the phone. [Rav Lichtenstein] put the question to
him, and then was directed to ask me whether the girl was stationed in the
ezrat nashim. I, of course, answered in the affirmative, and the Rav then
said that of course she could say Kaddish.

Saul