[Avodah] Qaddish and Women

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 12:31:07 PDT 2009

> Ben:
> .. But it wasn't
> > because it was forbidden for them to say it, just that they simply don't
> > get listed...

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:23, <rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand the one only model well. Breuer's still employs it as did
> my old shul in Wash. Heights - albeit intermittently.
>
> The question is what if the ONLY hiyyuv is a woman? Can she say qaddish
> for a tzibbur?
>
> The implications can be staggering!

>From what I have seen, there are SHUT that say women do NOT say kaddish.
Rav Tuchinsky, in his sefer Gesher HaChaim sites this as normative halacha.
Rav Tuchinsky & others who do not allow women to say kaddish are
following Chovot
Ya'ir # 222.

He seems to be the first person to address this in a SHUT. The interesting
thing about this SHUT is that the Amsterdam community allowed the daughter
to say kaddish for her father & then asked the Chovot Ya'ir about the whole
thing.

Saul