[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 14:42:08 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:23:09PM -0400, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
: Unlike all the other "isms" on RRW's list, the *ideology* of capitalism
: doesn't really conflict with the Torah.  Yes, in our vale of tears
: people will often be tempted to do the wrong thing, but capitalism
: doesn't contradict the Torah or the Mesorah in the ways that the others
: do.

Except that sharing money is called justice (tzedaqah), the tuvei ha'ir
have price fixing power, the dinim of ona'as mamonos also limit the
freedom of the market. I'm sure if I thought of it, I can find other
examples that appear to reflect a not-quite-capitalist worldview.

But I understood RRW to be listing encounters we've had in the past
century and a half with other Isms that r"l tempted our people to place
their first loyalty elsewhere than the Torah. Not whether or not there
was lemaaseh a conflict.

(I think RRW is a Religious Zionist, but he put Zionism on his list.)

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507