[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:23:52 PDT 2009

Micha:
> That's the major societal change I believe is assur to undertake without
> a real cheshbon hanefesh. If it's made and they reach a different
> conclusion than I currently hold, it would bother me far less.

Circa 1975 YU's SOY - attended by many onlookers - was debating whether
the purim hagigah should be co-ed or male only (stag?)

The Righties wanted Men only
The Lefties wanted mixed

One high-minded Wilsonian type demanded of the Council and of the large
crowd attending:
"The issue is not what is best for ME whether the hagigah is co-ed or not!
The issue is what is better for Purim!".

IOW which model will be superior in honoring or observing the holiday
itself.

Same here
What model better serves the Torah and the Community itself?

Does engaging more women in rabbinical-style (kinda like kosher-style :-)
leadership roles enhance the community more?
Or does the embracing of contemporary but non-Torah values pose a
potential for greater damage?

That is the question!

GS
RRW