[Avodah] tisha baav is a moed

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 10:30:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 01:56:58PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: I have always been bothered by the characterization of tisha baav as a
: festival (moed)

I think of "mo'eid" as "an appointment". As in "ki eis lechenena ki va
mo'eid", bimheirah beyameinu, amein.

When you're called to the bosses office to discuss a crisis in
productivity, you don't interrupt the discussion to raise questions of
floor space.

9 beAv is a time for a particular kind of encounter with the
Aibishter. Not the happiest of encounters, but still, we are moved by
tragedy to turn to Him. And because it's a day of encounter, we will
continue to do so in the future, when the tragic is behind us.

I would say therefore that the pasuq is being used to teach that 9 beAv
is a time for reflecting on the message of 9 beAv to the exclusion of
the personal baqashos of tachnun.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507