[Avodah] tisha baav is a moed

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:35:21 PDT 2009

RET:
> I have always been bothered by the characterization of tisha baav as a
> festival (moed)
> which is certainly not pshat in the pasuk
> Besides the gemara says that all fast days are festivals in times of
> peace and we still say tachanun on other fast days (not YK)

I don't have a direct answer

But I have posted and blogged that purim and tisha b'av have similar
liturigcal structures (I can supply links later BEH)

As such
9 av is the only taanis w/o sleichos or tachanun

And purim uniquely has no Hallel

My hypothesis:
Both represent EXTREMES.

Purim is in a sense too joyous for Hallel (too much holelus? :-)

And 9 Av too mournful for tachanun selichos

In fact you don't say tachanun at a shiva either and yekkes even omit
tiskabel at a shiva because of sasam tefilasi...

So the qar'u alay moed may refer not to festivity but to the extreme
nature of the day (indeed a day for Edom to celebrate!)

But it falls short of explaining Moed completely. Maybe someone else
can connect the missing dots

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile