[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Meir Shinnar chidekel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 17:42:19 PDT 2009

> And last, I still don't see how you provide any proof that the word
> "tzeni'us" means something other than "acting betzin'ah", that
> vehatznieah lekhes isn't dachui by the need to have leaders. You
> aren't
> even arguing hutrah, you are telling me to follow a different and
> unprovided definition of the word without a source behind the claim
> that RHS -- or actually RYBS, since he discussed it in Nefesh haRav
> (pg
> 281) -- got it wrong by translating the word literally. Tzin'ah is the
> antonym of parhesia, no?
I looked up in Nefesh Harav, and he actually says something quite
different, and even a ra'aya lisgtor.  He argues that tzeniut means
that it is incumbent upon everyone, including gdole yisrael and those
involved in the public arena, to keep their private lives private -
this was in the context of commenting on the appropriateness of
biographies, and arguing that we learn from hashem about being hidden
- and that his father, in spite of being involved publicly, remained a
private person.  This is actually proof that RYBS did not hold that
there was an issur of zniut of being involved in the public sphere,
that somehow was being nidche - in talking about the issue of zniut,
he does not at all say that there was any issue in being in the public
sphere - rather, that while in the public sphere, keep your private
side private - a very differen t issue.

Meir Shiinar