[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 17 12:46:39 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 07:09:46PM +0100, Rn Chana Luntz wrote:
: RMB writes:
: > The line is subtle, and probably the subject of machloqes. My
: > own opinion is that tzeni'us is not drawing attention to
: > oneself, more of a mode of interaction with others, whereas
: > anavah is realizing that one is part of Hashem's bigger plan
: > rather than thinking I'm in charge. (Thus the connection to
: > other ayin-nun words like answering, reacting, etc...)

: You ask me to further define tznius in accordance with common practice.

: I think that part of the issue is that there are two distinct meanings of
: tznius in common understanding:

This is a shift of topic. "In accordance with common practice" and
"in common understanding" are two different things. What I asked for
was a justification for the claim that common practice indicates there
is a different shitah in tzenius, and it's that shitah which we are
following.

Common understanding is blurry and doesn't really make the point.
Removing common understanding to just talk about nidon didan,
the following:
: (A) as the opposite of pritzus.  Pritzus is inappropriate sexuality, and
: tznius is the opposite of that.

is not relevent.

: (B) the use of tznius in tzanua laleches - which is a lot closer to anavah -
: in fact this is often translated as walking humbly with one's G-d.  The
: b'tzina, the privacy part of this, is not the public action, but the
: dedication of the heart toward G-dliness, rather than towards external
: reward.

: I can understand the desire by RHS (and others, Getzel Ellinson tries to do
: the same thing) to unite these two separate definitions...

But he doesn't touch (A) at all! He is saying that hatzneiach lekhes is
gender neutral, it's "just" that men have far more occasions where our
pursuit of anti-farhesia (tzenius-B) is overriden by something else.

(A note only the Mesorah crowd would appreciate: Since "anti-" ends in
a vowel, the word is "farhesia", not "parhesia".)

I therefore don't see how the rest of your paragraph applies:
:                           While RHS's formulation may appeal to the Western
: mind, which sometimes struggles with the idea that there is inappropriate
: sexuality - or at least inappropriate expression of sexuality, I don't think
: it is right or true to source....

He says noting about anti-peritzus / tzenius type A. Neither in accord
with the Western mind nor in opposition.

FWIW, I personally would propose a unifying definition -- peritzus is
the ultimate in drawing attention to oneself for a non-productive (in
fact counterproductive) purpose. But that's tangential since only
one end of the linkage is relevent.

:> But the line isn't my point. Whether it's an issue of
:> tzeni'us or of anavah, it would still mean that accomodating
:> feminist aspirations in the synagogue is actually enabling
:> the further spread of middos that don't fit the Torah's ideal.

: Again, I have a basic problem with the whole thesis that the ban on women
: having aliyos has anything to do with tznius or anavah.  The gemora says
: quite straightforwardly that the reason why women cannot have aliyos is
: because of kovod hatzibbur....

And now we reach what was obviously a basic inability for me to make
my point clearly.

So, a step back.

There are two levels of issue: halachic and sociological.

The halachic issues can well rule out women having aliyos, or being
dayanim, or whatever else. (And do.) I'm not addressing that.

Say one believes that there is no concept of "rabbi" today, and therefore
a woman should be able to call herself "rabbi" as much as a man. It's
just a statement about knowledge and ability, and not different in kind
than my relying on my wife's kashrus decisions in the kitchen (only in
degree).

I'm arguing that even if that is what I concluded, with no specific issur
involved there are reasons that have the force of halakhah not to make
such changes.

When making a change in how we worship, one has to decide if it's a
step forward or a step away from the Torah's goals, do we accomodate or
resist? Because this is an innovation, sociological and aggadic issues
actually effectively become halachic prohibitions. RYBS would call this
prohibiting for political reasons. Although that usage I think abuses
the word "political" and puts an unnecessarily negative sound to it.

I am only dealing with these beyind-the-specifically prohibited issues.
And my argument is that it's a step away from the Torah's ideal, and
therefore we lack the permission to make the innovation.

So RMS doesn't have to worry that by my giving a weak argument I may be
giving away the farm to someone who can dismiss it. My argument is in
addition to the halachic one, not instead of it.

I think part of the confusion was that I used the words hutrah and
dechuyah, putting people in a halachic mindset. I think another part is
that at least on of the other participants in the conversation doesn't
really believe in the idea of values that need to be addressed beyond
halakhah. The issue I'm raising may be outside of his worldview, or
perhaps on the very borders.

Given that, now I can discuss the specific element of that ideal that I
am raising, that of tzeni'us in the (B) anti-farhesia sense of the word.