[Avodah] a community taking seriously the text of piyutim it says

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu Sep 24 18:39:17 PDT 2009

Since some point to the pizmon of "B'motzaei m'nuchah" as evidence that
Ashk'nazim should start saying Elul-week S'lichos on Saturday night after
chatzos halayla rather than prior to Shacharis on Sunday morning, I thought
I would mention two phrases which those "some" presumably said on the first
day of Rosh haShanah (the first phrase is in the yotzros, a/k/a/ the
piyutim said as part of the pre-Shma b'rachah of "Yotzeir or", and the
second is in the q'rovos, a/k/a/ the piyutim said during chazaras haSHaTZ,
of Shacharis; translation taken from JMarmorstein translation of Roedelheim
Machzor, (C) Copyright 1965 by VGoldschmidt Publishers, Basle) and invite
comment:
-1-
Melech taliso kasheleg m'tzuchtzach/The King whose cloak is like purified
snow....

Do you wear an all-white talis/dress in white?  How 'bout your community?

(I consider this point about as strong as the "B'motzaei m'nuchah" point,
i.e. not very :).  The next one, I consider to be stronger....)

-2-
(This time, in order to emphasize that precisely "ten" is meant, I'm going
to quote and then translate the entire stanza, line by line, with the line
in question highlighted.)
Ya'amiru oz malchuyos eser/They revere in ten verses the acknowledgement of
divine rule;
T'vuos l'sheim buchan b'eser/They are based on him who was ten times tested
(Abraham);
** Chaq zichronos _v'qolos_ eser/the measure of remembrance _and of Shofar
tones_ is ten **;
Zeicher m'vareich g'vir (nusach acheir: g'viro) b'eser/in memory of him who
with ten blessings made his son master.

Does your community have exactly ten "Shofar tones" during the Amidah (or
at least during the chazarah)?

Best wishes for a guten Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom and a g'mar tov from
--Michael Poppers via RIM pager