[Avodah] Kashrus of a Restaurant Under the Supervision of its Owner

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Thu Aug 13 05:59:18 PDT 2009

R' Yitzchok Levine:
>> Is a person giving supervision on an establishment
>> that he owns a problem from a halachic standpoint?
>> Is this indeed a valid hashgacha, given that the
>> owner and kashrus supervisor are one and the same?

RAM:
>> According to my notes, about five years ago we had a discussion about how to apply "eid echad ne'eman" to modern real-world kashrus situations. R' Josh Backon suggested looking at the Aruch Hashulchan Yoreh Deah 119, specifically paragraphs #3, 9, and 11 there.

It depends, as RAM points out, on whether he has a hezkat kashrut.  It
also may depend on whether there's ithazek issura (e.g. meat) or not.
See AhSh YD 188:22 and follow the sources back.  I was brought up to be
lenient like the AhSH, but I've known respectable people who are
stringent like the Hayyei Adam.

If you are worried about financial interest, however, why not also worry
that a paid mashgiah has a financial interest in the success of the
business (or, as RAM worries, that his ne'emanus is questionable)?
Someone who occasinally posts on this list, and who knows far more than
I, has argued that at least one major Kashrut agency keeps its staff on
salary to avoid this problem.

I think that's correct (I have a vague recollection that correct
practice is to pay shochtim even for treifos to avoid this problem).
Nonetheless it raises two concerns.  The first is that if an agency
loses clients it loses revenue.  So being on salary may not make him
worry about tomorrow's paycheck if he finds problems, but he may worry
about next month's paycheck.

The second is more abstract.  Laws of agency (shlichus) in the US are
very different than those in halacha.  So, for example, the firm of
plumbers I employ is bonded, and I don't need to check each plumber
individually for expertise and capacity to reimburse me for drastic
errors.  But in halacha if he makes a mistake the head of the firm can
simply shrug off the problem by saying to his employee "litkuni
shdartich v'lo l'avtuni".  There is no practical way in halacha to run a
large firm.  So the major kashrus agencies, with dozens of employees we
don't know personally, can run only in a non-halachic legal system.

Anything that concerns you about an owner you don't know personally
should also concern you about a mashgiah you don't know personally.
I've known some prominent rabbis who eat meat only if they know the
shohet personally (I'd guess only meat because of ithazek issura).

David Riceman