[Avodah] Kashrus of a Restaurant Under the Supervision of its Owne r

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Aug 12 20:07:42 PDT 2009

R' Yitzchok Levine asked:

> Is a person giving supervision on an establishment
> that he owns a problem from a halachic standpoint?
> Is this indeed a valid hashgacha, given that the
> owner and kashrus supervisor are one and the same?
>
> IMO, this is not the same as someone saying that his
> or her home is kosher. In one's home there is
> presumably no profit motive involved.
>
> Years ago someone told me that there is a teshuva of
> the Chasam Sofer that says that such supervision is not
> valid, but I do not know which teshuva this is.

According to my notes, about five years ago we had a discussion about how to apply "eid echad ne'eman" to modern real-world kashrus situations. R' Josh Backon suggested looking at the Aruch Hashulchan Yoreh Deah 119, specifically paragraphs #3, 9, and 11 there.

I was amazed at what he wrote there, over a hundred years ago. In particular, he shows big differences between the eidus one gives about his kitchen at home vs. the kitchen in his store. My suggestion is to start at the beginning of that siman, and go for a dozen or so seifim. It's an eye-opener.

Akiva Miller