[Avodah] learning kinot

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Wed Jul 29 13:13:43 PDT 2009

RRW: "I seem to recall the Rav not over-intellecutalizing but rather expounding
and was well within the parameters of understanding the dynamics of the
day and of the qinnos

<snip>

Now READING those same lectures may lack the "gefeel" of hearing them
from the Rav. The Rav was - as I saw him - more touchy-feely in person
than on tape or written page."

R. J.J. Schacter's book, "The Lord is Righteous in all His Ways" is pretty much a transcription of many of the Rav's presentations on Tisha B'Av.  He purposely kept the feel of an oral presentation rather than making them into written essays.  Anyone who ever heard the Rav speak can hear, in his/her mind while reading the book, the Rav giving these talks.

Joseph Kaplan