[Avodah] mesorah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:28:38 PDT 2009

If I understand Micha correctly he feels that halacha only takes into account
the mesorah of the generations and any new or academic evidence is ignored.

This seems to be the position of both CI and RYBS.
However, not everyone agrees. Some examples include

1. techelet scientific proofs - RYBS denies the use of any scientific proofs.
However, many talmidim includiing R. Schachter and . Tendler do wear the
ptil techelet

2. Ramban was willing to change his mind about the weight of the shekel
and some geographic question after moving to EY

More generally there are sugyot where Rashi is clearly wrong in the geography
of EY.  Anyone who has been to Sanhedria can see that "Sotem et HaGolel"
refers to rolling a rock covering a cave/burial plot

3. The most recent seforim blog  http://seforim.blogspot.com/
discusses the nikud of the word "dam" (kamatz or patach) in this weeks parsha
using also ancient manuscripts.

Reminds me that I read that RYBS read the word zecher wice even in
Ashrei according
to the(alleged) Gra that two versions were brought.
What happened to the previous mesorah?

4. I brought separately that R. Dessler felt that Rabbenu Tam changed the order
of the parshiyot in the tefillin based on his learning of the gemara. He obvious
was not overly concerned about the previous Mesorah.
R. Dessler explains that this was because there was no clear written mesorah
in Talmudic or Gaonic writings. The mesorah of what was practiced by the
kehilla was not of paramount importance.

--
Eli Turkel