[Avodah] lo plog

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Sep 6 23:07:44 PDT 2009

In Avodah Digest, Vol 26, Issue 171 dated 8/19/2009  "Rich, Joel"
<JRich at sibson.com>
writes:

More generally in some cases we say X is different than  Y and so the
prohibition of Y does not apply and in other cases we say lo plog  [--RET]

>>  imho this is a specific case of a more general question - is the
halachic  process reproducible? <<

KT
Joel Rich

The answer is no, not absolutely reproducible, because  the continuum of
possibilities is often fuzzy rather than yes/no (as I just  wrote about the Lo
Plug question).  Consider this (admittedly inexact)  metaphor:  You could
compare the halachic process to the game of  chess. Given the rules of chess,
will every game between two world chess masters  end exactly the same way?
Will the configuration of pieces on a chess  board be exactly the same
after every game?  Of course not.  Some  configurations, of course, will never
occur because the rules of chess preclude  them.  But within the constraints
allowed by the rules, there are many  possible configurations of the end
game.  Still, there are definite  constraints on what is and what is not
possible.

--Toby  Katz