[Avodah] induction cooking

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Sep 25 10:11:50 PDT 2008

M Cohen wrote:
> RZS writes
>> ..Why is this (covering the knobs) bedieved?  Covering the knobs
>> is parallel to gerifah; the top part of the blech that covers the flame is
>> parallel to ketima.  Standard
>> blechs do both, but only one is necessary.

> this question arises all the time (espec wrt to crockpots)
>
> see IMoshe (I don't have the ref right now) that the flame is the place
> to cover.

But gerifa is *not* about covering anything.  It's about making it
impossible to adjust the flame.

> although I have heard some claim that covering the knobs is good enough,
> I have not found a teshuvah in print that says it.

Why would you need a teshuvah?  Please explain how it's different from
gerifah.

> although some say that R Aharon Kotler held that covering the knobs
> is good enough,  R Shlomo miller (RAK talmid, R kollel Toronto) told me
> that this is completely false.

Since I'm not relying on these "some say", telling me that they were
wrong doesn't change anything.  Why do we need an authority when we
have a clear halacha that gerifah is enough, unless we can first come
up with a meaningful distinction between them?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.