[Avodah] Praying to angels

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Sep 24 08:02:18 PDT 2008

	As we get stuck into our Selichos, I was wondering what
listmembers do about the selichos which involve petitioning
things/entities other than G-d, eg machnisei rachamim, the pizmon of the
13 middos, in which we petition the middas horachamim of HKBH.  This
last, in particular, can't just be silently skipped, because it is read
allowed and is, for many, the highlight of the selichos - I think
Satmarers davka do tashlich on the day on which it is read.

	I, on the one hand, have R. Toby Katz's accusation of arrogance
ringing in my ears.  On the other hand, I have my Goldschmidt edition of
the selichos, which quotes both the Rambam and Ramban decrying the
practice of davening to angels, with the Ramban openly calling it avodah
zarah.  Does minhag trump theology (assuming that you subscribe to that
particular theological view to start with)?

	I would be interested to hear about listmembers' practices and
feelings.

	Kol tuv
	Dov Kay

________________________________

	 I vacillate but do know that when I asked one rav ( a follower
to a large extent of the minhagei Hagra) he told me he didn't say it.
Right now I say it but have in mind I'm really asking hashem to have
them to do their jobs  even while I don't really understand celestial
mechanics (sort of like saying each part of the machine should function
properly)

	KT
	Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.