[Avodah] Praying to angels

Dov Kay dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 05:19:34 PDT 2008

As we get stuck into our Selichos, I was wondering what listmembers do about the selichos which involve petitioning things/entities other than G-d, eg machnisei rachamim, the pizmon of the 13 middos, in which we petition the middas horachamim of HKBH.  This last, in particular, can't just be silently skipped, because it is read allowed and is, for many, the highlight of the selichos - I think Satmarers davka do tashlich on the day on which it is read. I, on the one hand, have R. Toby Katz's accusation of arrogance ringing in my ears.  On the other hand, I have my Goldschmidt edition of the selichos, which quotes both the Rambam and Ramban decrying the practice of davening to angels, with the Ramban openly calling it avodah zarah.  Does minhag trump theology (assuming that you subscribe to that particular theological view to start with)?    I would be interested to hear about listmembers' practices and feelings. Kol tuvDov Kay