[Avodah] Praying to angels

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 08:35:16 PDT 2008

From: Dov Kay _dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk_ (mailto:dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk)

>>As  we get stuck into our Selichos, I was wondering what listmembers do
about the  selichos which involve petitioning things/entities other than G-d, eg
machnisei  rachamim, the pizmon of the 13 middos, in which we petition the
middas  horachamim of HKBH....  I, on the one hand, have R. Toby Katz's
accusation  of arrogance ringing in my ears.  On the other hand, I have my Goldschmidt
edition of the selichos, which quotes both the Rambam and Ramban decrying the
 practice of davening to angels....

To avoid any problem of "arrogance" or of being  disrespectful to prominent
rabbanim and poskim who do say these  Selichos, aseh lecha rav -- ask a shaila
of an actual rav whom you respect and  whose psak you are prepared to abide by.

As for the question of praying to angels, I know that this has been
extensively discussed on Avodah but I will reiterate my own opinion  anyway:  when you
ask an angel to do you a favor or to please carry  out the mission he is
anyway contracted to do, that is not "praying" to the  angel any more than saying
to a friend "Please put a kvitel in the kosel for me"  is praying to your
friend.

I said it in the context of singing Sholom Aleichem on Friday night.   The
Gemara says that if the house is Shabbosdig when the men come home, the  angels
who accompany them bless the home.  When you say to the malachim  "Borchuni
lesholom" you are just validating in song form that you have made your  home
Shabbosdig and would now like them to carry out their mission as they said  they
would do (and they will do it even if you don't sing Sholom Aleichem, but
it's friendly and polite to welcome and acknowledge the angels who came to  visit
you anyway).

I understand all references to malachim in Tanach and in the liturgy in a
similar way.  You are only asking them to do what they would do anyway (or
maybe wouldn't and won't do, if you are not deserving).  Think of  this:  every
mitzva you do, and every word of tefillah or of Torah that you  utter, creates
its own malach who flies Upstairs and becomes another sanegor for  you.  (And
you create the other kind of angels, too, who become your  mekatragim, but we
prefer not to think about those.)

Like witnesses in a human court, these angels, these spiritual beings or
agents, can influence the outcome of the case but they do not have the authority
to pass sentence on you or to carry out the sentence.  Only the Judge has
that authority.  Unlike human witnesses, these angels cannot perjure  themselves
-- they do not have free will and ultimately can only do what Hashem  tells
them to do.  Your prior knowledge that you are /going/ to be saying  to the
angels, "Please go up and put in a good word for me" ideally will  influence your
actions all year long, because you know that those  angels can only do you
any good if you yourself have so behaved as to earn their  aid.

--Toby  Katz