[Avodah] bat mitzva "bo bayom"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Sep 22 11:11:44 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 01:01:46AM +0300, Saul Mashbaum wrote:
: Yes, but the quotation under discussion was "Hashem decided that the world
: couldn't go on without you", not quite the same thing as "Hashem decided tht
: you should be born".  We can entertain the possibilty that the latter is
: true, but not the former, and of course we cannot know one way or the other
: if Hashem was motivated by the former.

Thank you, that's what I meant.

I also meant that even if the basic point is correct, it's not when
Hashem decided, but when the universe needed you. Hashem's decisions
are lema'alah min hazeman, He has no when.

Thus, a birthday wouldn't be the celebration of the anniversary of
Hashem's decision, but the anniversary of the universe developing a
you-sized need. Seems like a much odder cause for celebration.

Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."
http://www.aishdas.org         - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
Fax: (270) 514-1507