[Avodah] most of us do Kapparos

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 15 14:51:00 PDT 2008

At 05:08 PM 9/15/2008,Ben Waxman wrote:

>Most of us do?
>------------------------------
>
> > From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
> >
> > OTOH, most of us do kaparos despite his objections, and rely on the
> > vetting process to assume that there must be something wrong with the
> > analysis, somewhere.

Due to the Chassidization of Yiddishkeit, it has become the "in thing
to do" Kapporas with chickens. However, I have always done Kapporas
with money. I am 99.9% sure that Rav A. Miller did it with money.

My father-in-law has stopped doing it with chickens, because he has
seen the way the chickens are mishandled.

Someone told me that he saw cases of chickens left out in the sun
over Yom Kippur. They all died! Given the abuse that the chickens
suffer, I would think that people would wake up and do Kapporas with money.

YL