[Avodah] Appearance vs. Reality

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 5 06:07:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:34:22PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
:> Kibud (perhaps as opposed to kavod) is all about pomp
:> and circumstance. One can argue that WRT being mekhabeid
:> the Borei, appearance IS substance in a way that isn't
:> true in general.

: I have no idea what you mean. Can you elaborate?

: I'd say the opposite. Given that the prerequisite that there's no odor
: in the case I gave, one could easily fool a Melech Basar V'dam that I was
: dressed appropriately. Not only can HaShem easily see through my outer
: garments...

You are discussing kavod, not kibud.

Kibud is creating the aura of kavod. Which is why I defined it in terms
of pomp and circumstance, of image rather than substance.

Giving the queen a crown shows her kavod. The massive crown she wore
at her coronation was not; I'm sure her neck suffered for it. However,
it was kibud, creating that atmosphere of kavod about her personage.

Maybe it's like the difference between honor and glory?

IIRC, it was RMPoppers who pointed out that RSRH makes this distinction
WRT "kol kevudah bas melekh penimah -- the daughter of a king is
all-glorious within" (as he translates it).

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             When faced, with a decision, ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter