[Avodah] Appearance vs. Reality

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Sep 4 15:34:22 PDT 2008

R' Micha Berger wrote:
> Kibud (perhaps as opposed to kavod) is all about pomp
> and circumstance. One can argue that WRT being mekhabeid
> the Borei, appearance IS substance in a way that isn't
> true in general.

I have no idea what you mean. Can you elaborate?

I'd say the opposite. Given that the prerequisite that there's no odor in the case I gave, one could easily fool a Melech Basar V'dam that I was dressed appropriately. Not only can HaShem easily see through my outer garments, but the best way to impress him is not with proper clothes, but with proper thoughts. And if your point is that we focus on clothing because that's how our puny brains work, then *all* the clothing should be respectable, not just the outer layer.

Akiva Miller