[Avodah] Reciting l'Dovid Hashem Ori

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 5 05:58:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:48:51AM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: Just because one person finds some indications that the custom may have been
: of Sabbatean origin doesn't mean that he's right, or that you should stop a
: custom that by now is so widespread in Klal Yisrael. An individual should
: not set himself up as a higher authority or bigger tzaddik than everybody else,
: unless he hears that some of the biggest gedolim and poskim stopped saying
: l'Dovid Hashem Ori for that reason, or he really is a big posek himself,  or
: has been told to do so by his own posek or rav.

"Some of the biggest gedolim and poskim" is not a halachic concept.

The proper way to resolve what to do is to approach your own poseiq, ask
him what someone who is convinced it's a Sabbatean invention ought to do.

The poseiq may ask one or more of the biggest gedolim and poseqim --
his own rabbanim. He might try to convince you you're wrong. He might
even say: I say it, but if *you* are really convinced, *you* shouldn't.
(To paraphrase the answer I got about wearing murex, which was more
"if you really think there is a realistic possibility it's techeiles,
you should".)

Veshamarta laasos kekhol asher yorukha.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
micha at aishdas.org        ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507