[Avodah] Reciting l'Dovid Hashem Ori

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 5 04:52:39 PDT 2008

At 05:36 AM 9/5/2008, you wrote:
>From: T613K at aol.com
>From: Dov Kay <dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk>
> >>I stopped saying l'Dovid when I was alerted to the  Sabbatean origins of
>the custom to say it at this time of  year. <<
> >>>>>
>Just because one person finds some indications that  the custom may have been
>of Sabbatean origin doesn't mean that he's right, or  that you should stop a
>custom that by now is so widespread in Klal  Yisrael.  An individual should
>not set himself up as a higher authority or  bigger tzaddik than
>everybody else,
>unless he hears that some of the biggest  gedolim and poskim stopped saying
>l'Dovid Hashem Ori for that reason,  or  he really is a big posek
>himself,  or
>has been told to do so by his own  posek or rav.

This is quite true. If the shul or Kehilah to which you belong says
it, then you should also, if not , then don't. I follow minhag Tzanz,
and so I don't say it. But if I am in another shul where it is the
custom to say it and I am the baal tephilah, then I do also so as not
to violate the minhag hamokom. If you have no minhag, then do what it
says in Shulchan Aruch.

Moshe Shulman   outreach at judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer:  http://www.judaismsanswer.com/