[Avodah] Tefillin On and Off

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 19 14:10:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:15pm EDT, R Gil Winokur wrote:
: 2) "Leos [al yadecha]" is singular, while "Totafos [bein einecha]"
: is plural, indicating that the shel yad is put on alone, and that one
: should have both tefillin on while wearing the shel rosh. Of course,
: this pasuk also refers to the multiple parshiyot in the shel rosh.

This would be a maqor, not a ta'am for why the yad is put on first and
taken off last.

The Maharal (I forgot where) asks about Nishmas, why is there mention of
"*Nishmas* kol chai" and "*veru'ah* kol basar", but no mention of the
third element of Naran, the nefesh?

Second, he asks why do we refrain from tefillin when the day itself is
an os, but we don't refrain from tzitzis?

The Maharal answers that the shel rosh is keneged neshamah, and the shel
yad -- ru'ach. Tzitzis is keneged the nefesh.

The os of shevisas melakhah is on the levels of ru'ach and neshamah,
but not nefesh. Therefore, no conflict with tzitzis, and Nishmas doesn't
refer to nefesh.

My problem is that Yom Kippur does have a shevisah for the nefesh too --
"ve'inisem es *nafshoseikhem*". Leshitaso, how does the Maharal explain
our wearing a tallis on YK?

In any case, this model would make the tefillah shel yad a basis without
which one can't reach the level of the tefillah shel rosh. Which would
explain the sequencing.

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter