[Avodah] Tefillin On and Off

Gil Winokur gilwinokur at usa.net
Fri Aug 15 10:15:12 PDT 2008

1)  We take the Shel Rosh off first to place it in the bottom of the bag, such that the shel rosh comes out first, since ein mavirin al hamitzvos.  See Rashi/Tosfos Yoma 33b.

I also heard a d'var Torah a couple of years ago from my nephew on this issue (I don't remember his sources)

2) "Leos [al yadecha]" is singular, while "Totafos [bein einecha]" is plural, indicating that the shel yad is put on alone, and that one should have both tefillin on while wearing the shel rosh.  Of course, this pasuk also refers to the multiple parshiyot in the shel rosh.

Gil Winokur