[Avodah] Tefillin On and Off

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 16:06:23 PDT 2008

R' Micha wrote: Shel yad is first because it's first in the pasuq
"uqeshartem le'os al
yadekha, vehayu letotafos bein einekha. That's the reason in Menachos
36a

This I already had learned and knew, but I wanted to give my own
chiddush. When you
say: "Before we use that strength, we better think!" you're absolutely
right. However, I
did not say "USE" that strength, my exact words were: "Before we can
even think, we must POSSESS
physical strength...."   There's a big difference between "Possessing"
and "Using." You must first
POSSESS before you can USE.

The second point is: following the reason in Menachos 36a, it explains
why the shel yad goes on
first and then the shel rosh. But it doesn't explain why when removing
them, you do just the opposite.

Kol tuv.
ri