[Avodah] Hilchos Birkat Hamazon

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 14 13:17:52 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:37:16AM -0400, Cantor Wolberg wrote:
: The following is documented:
: My questions are:  Is it credible that stepping on bread crumbs can
: lead to poverty...

For a mystic, there is no question -- You can't understand metaphysical
causality. (Though Chazal knew far more than we can.)

For a rationalist -- one has to seek symbolic / pyshological import.

Someone who takes the gift of hamotzi lechem min ha'aretz for granted
will be pushed into a situation where he can more easily feel the full
amount of G-d's gift to us.

: Second halacha above:  I always liked the idea of removing or covering
: knives before Birchas since it is compared to weapons. However, to give,
: as an example, a mentally disturbed...

It's about shulchan domeh lemizbeiach and "ki charbekha heinafta aleha
vatechaleleha" (Semos 20:22). IOW, it's not just the notion of weapons,
it's trying to recreate the feel of being at the mizbeiach. At least
long enough to bentch.

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie