[Avodah] Tefillin On and Off

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 04:10:03 PDT 2008

This week's portion contains the mitzvah for tefillin. Interestingly,
we put on the shel yad first and then the shel rosh afterwards.
However, when removing the
tefillin, we do it in reverse. Why in reverse?

The arm symbolizes physical strength and the head symbolizes the
intellect and mind.  Before we can even think, we must possess
physical strength. Hence, we begin
with the physical. However, when removing the tefillin, we are
somewhat sad that we have to end that mitzvah. So in order not to get
too upset, we slow down our
intellectual process (so as to take our mind off the fact that we are
concluding the mitzvah), and then we can utilize our physical strength
to conclude.

ri