[Avodah] KSA, MB, AhS, Chayei Adam and other codes

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 22:24:31 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:28 AM, kennethgmiller at juno.com <
kennethgmiller at juno.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, what if you want to follow a particular shita which is
> contrary to "your received chain of precedent", not because of your general
> respect for this author, but because his logic and argument is stronger than
> the opposition?
>
> Akiva Miller

I have some friends who would like to see the Halacha ALWAYS follow the most
logical read.  The problem is: What do you mean by most logical?  Logical by
conclusion? Or Logically what the original author intended? etc.

Also such an eclectic system would create a hodge podge which I would bet
would inevitably lead to contradictions.  Then again, I subscribe to a
consensus model which often does the same thing anyway.

The problem with minhag avos - minhag hamakom is the large-scale disruption
of the communities since 1930's. It is hard to put the pieces back together.

BY and KSA engineered a virtual BD
You could also engineer a set of poskim  to create a gestalt - as I spoosed
earlier viz.
Tur/SA/Levush, etc.  IOW yo udon't pasken like any combination but you form
an informed opinion by surveying a set set of sources.  IOW you always look
at A, B, & C and then reflect.

If you look at e.g. Ba'eir Hetev, he wil mention one of many poskim and it
would be hard-pressed to see a system evolving out of another eclectic
basis.

Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com
see: http://nishmablog.blogspot.com/