[Avodah] KSA, MB, AhS, Chayei Adam and other codes

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Aug 7 08:28:16 PDT 2008

>From R' David Riceman:
> This raises a tangential question.  To what extent, having
> grown fond of a code which is outside of your received
> chain of precedent, can you add it to the chain because
> you respect the author?

Alternatively, what if you want to follow a particular shita which is contrary to "your received chain of precedent", not because of your general respect for this author, but because his logic and argument is stronger than the opposition?

This is another phrasing of my long-held question: What constitutes a minhag, such that one follows his father's practice? And what is not a minhag, such that one follows his posek's direction?

Akiva Miller